Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sorry Second Life, My First Life is Already Too Full

I don't get it. And I'm not sure that many other people do either. With technology moving and evolving at lightning speed, and life as we know it is more productive and efficient as a result, who has time to have a Second Life? My first life is already so full, that I can barely keep up. That and it seems to me that you sort of have to have a forum of people to really do anything on Second Life, but not a single person I know is on there. The population on Second Life are supposedly gamers and the (highly) technically savvy, but my husband is a gamer, he makes video games, and I have had to tell him what the heck this is all about. He doesn't know anyone on Second Life either. Maybe it's a generation gap, but really? We aren't so far out of the younger "Internet" generation that we don't have a lot of friends that would supposedly be on Second Life. We are also not at all so technically un-savvy that Second Life would be one of those elusive technologies that we would never grasp, except that I really am not grasping the full reasoning or so-called popularity of it.

I think with the popularity of Facebook and Twitter growing by leaps and bounds, I'll stick to the conversations I have with my friends, over conversations that I may have with "furry" people or Avatars that may or may not look like the person with whom they are associated. It seems a little weird, and maybe that is the way it is supposed to be. But I like my normal conversations with my friends and collegues. At least this way, I know with whom I am talking. See ya later Second Life. I'll keep my first.

Let me know if anyone can give me a real life example of how Second Life can help me or make my life easier. I'm all ears.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure Second Life needs to make the case that it will make your life easier - does Twitter do that?

And are you really sure who you're talking to on Facebook? Unless you know everyone from there (or LinkedIn, or wherever) personally already, you must know that there are tons of fake accounts floating around on all systems. If your first life is too full of Facebook and Twitter, you can definitely make time for Second Life. That's not much of an excuse.

Your husband makes video games? Fine, that's cool. But Second Life isn't a game - as you seem to know when you compare it with social networking systems. Just because he doesn't know doesn't mean no one's using it. Do some homework.

MH Factor said...

The quick to judge is all to quick to remain anonymous as well. Oh well. I don't mind someone criticizing my post, but at least tell me who you are so I can address you appropriately.

To clarify, Facebook does make my life more efficient. It allows me to contact friends who I haven't heard from in a while, but cuts out the need for a lengthy conversation by keeping them up to date with what is going on with me during the in-between times that I don't talk to them and it keeps me up to date on their lives during those times as well.

And yes, to your comment, I do know everyone with whom I am having a conversation. I am not a friend whore that just accepts requests from anyone so that my "friend" numbers are high. I value my relationships, so I don't accept any requests from people I don't consider real friends, and I don't request to be friends with everyone I meet. I keep business associations on LinkedIn and personal associations on Facebook, and anyone I don't know isn't accepted into my world(s).

I think there are people out there that can use Second Life for their own purposes, but to say that it is a relevant program for the general population is inaccurate. And to try to justify that it holds a place for the PR industry is a reach, to say the least.

And no, my husband's knowledge as a gamer is not the be-all-end-all, but he has been in industry for a long time and is up-to-date on the latest technologies. The fact that this is not one that holds water is just an analogy of the general population. I see Second Life as a niche program for a relatively small population and if they want to succeed or compete in today's evolving environment, maybe they should do some research and figure how to compete in the "real" world.

Thanks for the input though! It makes my very amateur blog better to have some dialog and allows me to expand my opinion where it may not have been clear.