Sunday, April 12, 2009

Blogging Busy

One thing (among many!) for sure that COMM4352 has taught me is that blogging on a weekly basis is hard. I completely understand the excercise of blogging on a regular basis. I totally believe in the necessity of it in the PR field and in just about any field these days, but dang, it is hard to do if you aren't already in the habit of doing it all the time. It gives me a better insight to the time commitment of bloggers, too; and a greater understanding of how we, as PR professionals, need to appreciate their time and effort in publishing meaningful information.

The power of the effective and popular blogger is an important thing to keep in mind, especially if these are the people to whom we need to be able to reach our target audience. They hold the key to distributing meaningful information, but their sensitivity to being "pitched" to is a little confusing and daunting.

I get that blogging and commenting is about joining the conversation, but at the same time, don't bloggers have a responsibility to their audiences? Don't you think that they should be more accessible? There are so many "rules" about reaching out to bloggers, I have to wonder how much valuable information is being lost because bloggers are too sensitive to being pitched to so no one really tries? I think that if in the future, I become a popular enough blogger to have a large audience, I will advertise that I am approachable, and pitch-to-able. Let them pitch to me and I will accept and decline that which I choose, just the same as other writers do. However, at the rate I'm going, I'm lucky to get my 2 posts in for the week. I'm just too blogging busy!

2 comments:

Bennie Sabes said...

i first though blogging was just a nice long joke. it turns out i was wrong and it is difficult to write to an audience not there, or couldnt care less about your material. i think after all this i will use the blog for something that better represents me

Anonymous said...

It's really easy to start a blog, make it look nice, and post your first few posts. The real challenge is keeping up with it. To blog, you really need to know what you're blogging about and actually LIKE the topic. If you're not passionate about what you do, whatever it is, you're not going to stick with it.
I can relate to your dilemma of finding time to blog. With everything else that goes on, especially in a college student's life, it's easy to forget to keep up with things like blogs on a regular basis.